Creating the right mood with lighting is surprisingly easy. Not only does lighting add beauty and the perfect mood for the occasion, but it also provides safety. Listed below are a few tips to making your patio have the ambience you desire.
1. Recessed lighting – Mounting small lights to your deck provides the light you need to your patio, and it saves space. These lights can even be walked on without you damaging the fixtures. Another pro to this type of lighting is that it’s weather safe, so you don’t have to worry about taking it down before bad weather approaches.
This lighting is ideal for lighting up the perimeter of your patio and with provide you with enough safety when you’re walking around it. The recessed lights will also offer you the ambience you want and a beautiful glow to the outdoors. A downside is that installing recessed lighting can be expensive, but the result you get from these lights is well worth it.
2. Post cap lights – These lights have larger fixtures and can attach to the deck, patio railings, or posts. The light projects light 360 degrees around the fixture, which makes it ideal for marking the entrance to the patio itself or the stairs of your patio. These lights provide safety and the glow they give off is beautiful.
3. Low voltage lighting – Leaving your outdoor lighting on low voltage lighting is something that you should consider. It is easy to install yourself, energy efficient, and safe. Low voltage lighting can be used in post cap lights, lanterns, and even statues.
4. Solar lighting – Since solar lighting doesn’t need wires to emit light, this option is energy efficient and easy to install. Just be sure that if you decide to purchase these lights, you leave them in a well-lit area so that they can recharge. Solar lighting can be used in tabletop lanterns or pole lamps. With growing concerns about the environment, this type of lighting has become more and more popular for use on patios and decks, as the only energy required comes from the sun.
5. Torches and lanterns – The easiest way to light up the space is by placing lanterns all around the area that you need lighting for. Some of your choices include:
* Bamboo torches – These are inexpensive and easy to install.
* Gas and propane burning torches – Natural gas burning torches can be hooked up to your home’s natural gas line by a professional, while propane burning torches are designed to use conventional propane tanks. Propane and gas tanks are both made to be cleaner than oil torches, meaning there will be no smoke or residue.
* Lanterns – This option is a beautiful and stylish way to add ambience to your patio. These can either be powered by electricity, oil, or kerosene. Oil and kerosene are relatively inexpensive and easy to take care of. Lanterns can either be mounted on the wall of your patio or pushed into the ground.
* Outdoor lamps – These lights are weather resistant, sturdy and safe to use outside.
There are so many ways to add ambience to your patio. You just have to decide which option is best for you and what you want out of the light.